<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, May 18, 2004

The Four Eagles (yes, I know there's five of them)
A _very_ special Hut today with three tracks that are as beautiful as anything you'll ever hear in this man's world: some old-time acapella religion for ya. Utterly absorbing and transcendent stuff, one and all. It's good enough for me.

glisten

Ralph Stanley with Ricky Skaggs - "Children Go Where I Send Thee" (Live)

I've always loved this track and Stanley's creaky voice and the chaotic monotonymishmash of voices near the end gives it an extra burst of vitality. The great dischord of Southern voices is so much down in the holler that I just want to hug everybody and curl up in fronta the fireplace.

A common theme in these tracks is that the singing of praise evokes an almost orgasmic pain, a violent communing with the great mystery.

Stanley's Official Sony Site
-
The Skaggs Family Records homepage
-
Who Are They?
See also here for some related discussion.

=================================================================

The Four Eagles Quartet - "Nearer My God to Thee" (Live)

This gets pulled out at least once a week as a song of meditation and prayer, especially in times of trouble and worry.

I think Arthur Miller called "The Bicycle Thief" a man's soul on film; this sounds like a man's soul on tape.

My god: just listen; just listen. Absolutely perfect.

Buy "Wade In The Water, Vol. 4: African American Community Gospel" from Amazon.
Would you believe this seems to be the ONLY widely available commercial recording of the Four Eagles on CD? Sin and a shame; I saw them many a time when I was but a little bitty baby. They'd just knock your socks off; sixty year old men who worked the crowd like punk stars, literally bending over backwards in the grip of the power of the Lord. Amazing.
-
An NPR transcript (with realaudio) on Jefferson County, Alabama's rich tradition of acapella gospel singing.
-
If you can FIND a copy, the second program in the Channel Four produced Repercussions: A Celebration of African-American Music called "On the Battlefield" offers an intimate look at Jefferson County gospel groups.

=================================================================

The Soul Stirrers - "John Saw the Holy Number"

A full day of Soul Stirrers is no doubt forthcoming; I always forget just how much I like this work until I listen to it.

Again, words fail me.

Purchase the "He's My Rock" P-Vine two disc set.
Utterly revelatory. Not a bad cut on the whole album.
I understand the risk involved in shelling out big bucks for unheard import material, but trust me when I tell you that you will NEVER regret buying this.
-
A brief history of the group
-
The story of Sam Cooke's time with the Soul Stirrers

=================================================================

musicblog clicky

klepshimi offers TWO full Pixies live sets, a PJ/Bjork rarity and the Kleptones' Flaming Lips remix album. Updates have been coming at the once a month pace; we should be due for one in another week or three.
-
Newkidontheblock Royal Music looks around the house and finds Tom Waits, the Beatnuts and Macho Man Randy Savage; shoos them out from under the bed with a broom and herds them onto your computer for your listening pleasure. Don't disappoint the fellows; give 'em a tip of the DL.
-
The Daily Charlie throws his hat in the music aggregate ring. With maybe fifteen of these in the sidebar, it's time we gave them (websites that don't host, but DO highlight specific tracks from other musicblogs; generally from online labels and larger sites like epitonic).

P2PBlogs? Middleblogs? Aggregates?

Vote Now, vote often!
-
More mash and carry from Daz Automatic. I'm kinda feelin' "Beyonce's Cherry" (I should be so lucky): a pretty swooft "Baby Girl"/"Buffalo Stance" blender. Whodathunkit? Daz, apparently.
-
Canto do Leo is a blog in Portugese with occasional glimmers of DL-able (presumably) Brazilian popmusic.
-
MP3BLOG is cuechamp's megaglitchy cutup musicblog. Try "Natural", composed of animal noise samples, and "ctrl+c n' ctrl +v", cobbled of tracks that the RIAA has gone to court over.
-
Rock'N'Roll in the Real World posts Morrisey covers, gossips about Sam Beam and writes "answer tracks" in response to Nellie McKay. So what's not to like?

=================================================================

spiffy

Sharpeworld is back and badder than ever. Act like you know and go snarfle up the goodness.
-
Chris Ware, legendary cartoonist and creator of the brilliant Acme Comic Library also publishes a jaw-dropping catalog sized magazine about old-timey music called The Ragtime Ephemeralist. The accompanying site is a joy, with numerous music downloads, lots of purty pictures and the insane degree-of-difficulty design that is Ware's trademark; plus you can order copies of the magazine.

Oh, by the by; Mr. Ware was kind enough to design the jacket for my father's book, "Out of Sight." You can find that cover, more information on the book and ordering information at The Ephemeralist site.
-
Search and Delete is a bright and funny blog about music (as opposed to a musicblog) that weighs in heavily on the P2P issue and also gives big ups to milk. Yay Milk!
-
Was recently offered some promo discs from the fellows at Sumosonic and will have more to say about them when they arrive, but their artist lineups are awfully hard to argue with. Matt over at FLUX suggests it looks a bit like CMJ glory days; I'll tell you in a week or three if it's worth hard earned cash.

Anyone else out there who wants to send me free stuff; I'm easily bought! This could become a Kid Rock greatest hits site with the proper incentive. Let me know, as I'm all greased up and ready to bend.

Ever try to sell out and then discover no one was buying? Sad, sad, sad.

=================================================================

gotham

Busy day today. Eight mile run out by the reservoir, then lots of shoe leather expended pounding the pavement looking for a subsistence level job. I could go back to personal training (and likely will), but that really isn't enough to support you for quite some time, so I imagine it's back to foodservice, sigh.
-
C'mon folks, save me! Okay, so you might not have a job for me. But do you industry types have any suggestions as to how to crack into the business? What sort of samples should I put together for a copy/editor/apprentice position and who should I contact?
-
First celebrity sighting of the new occupation: Steve Harvey in sunglasses and a badass purplepimpsuit with considerable pimpedout entourage in tow. I gave him a smile and a nod and he kept right on trucking by. Clearly, I made an impression.
-
THIS IS A DESPERATE PLEA: Orbital (one of my big favorites) apparently has a new album out called "Blue" that has been leaked and is Soulseeking its way around. Could someone PLEASE dropload me some tracks? New (and good) Orbital is cause for serious celebration and I'd LOVE to hear this.
Oh and don't forget the employment.