<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, March 31, 2004


glisten globally: week three

Today's selections are the first in a trio of global mixes. The following tracks hail from Indonesia, Peru and Brazil; they vary in style from drone to folk dance to dancehall; each has its own attendant language, tradition and sensibility.

Mix it up.

=================================================================

Male Indonesian Chorus - "Zoka"

Somewhere between lightly creepy, somnambulent and transcendent.

Nice sleepytime music, leastways _I_ think so.

The aggressively aspirant Smithsonian Folkways Indonesian Music Collection is comprised of TWENTY CDs.
Gotta catch 'em all!
-
Purchase the CD "Music of Indonesia, Disc Nine" from Amazon.
-
Then again, twenty CD's might not be enough.
-
Some commentary and reviews of CDs in the series.

=================================================================
Peru Negro - "Son de Los Diablos"

Just a bit more Afro-Peru love.

Booty grindin', peppery and uproarious.

The Peru Negro Homepage
This looks suspiciously like a live show that could change your life. Maybe you'd go off and start raising ostriches or become a racecar driver.
-
Buy the CD "Jolgario" from Amazon and then send me a copy, cuz I want one.
(My version of this song comes from the previously mentioned Luaka Bop AfroPeruvian compilation.)
-
Rock Paper Scissors maintains a great band site for Peru Negro with lots of info, pics and audio.

=================================================================

Boquinha Da Garrafa - "Ou Da Ou Desce"

Here's an odd duck. I got a copy of this CD from a Brazilian waiter I used to work with. The cover and liners on this were UNBELIEVABLY homoerotic; two men and one woman (presumably the band) in various degrees of undress and genderfuck. With jazz hands.

As my roommate succinctly put it "Yo, that's some gayass shit, dog."

But the music was INSANE! Like bouncing off the wall, RUNNING up the wall dancing on the ceiling insane!

This is by far my favorite track on here, but you can buy the album from Amazon, if you're absolutely enthralled or feeling adventurous.
-
Lyrics and tabs and the sorta garbled English translation version.
"Ou Da Ou Desce" apparently means "it gives or it goes down", an argument that seems to be missing an "it puts the lotion in the basket", if you ask me.
-
I had a devil of a time finding info in English on Boquinha da Garrafa. Why don't you take a peek at this GIS for BdG and tell me what YOU think it is. My best guess is "lips on the bottle".
Brazilian readers? Somebody? Can anybody tell me about these guys? I'm VERY curious.

=================================================================

clicky

Continuing the Musicblog collection:

I wish I had found copy, right? earlier, as there's a number of tracks that have come and gone that I wouldn't have minded glomming on to. Obscure and often silly covers for days; don't miss The Softies on "Together Forever".
-
Electronic, remix, mashup schtuff over by Diffusion Online. Nice take on the unpleasant UK I Love Horses meme.
-
Lionel Vinyl is my new friend and we're gonna beat ALL yall's asses.
Some great remixes over theah.
-
What more DJs? Yep. DeepDiscoForce.
-
And yet more. Not all of mcsleazy's links are live, so click around.
-
So now that George Michael's seems to have joined the ranks it only seemed fair to plug HIS site, but URK is it gaudy.
Stumble around and get the live dl for "Grave" which is gorgeous.
-
Meanwhile, Soulwax has GREAT design, but I can't seem to find a way to listen to any of the music. Is it good?
-
Victor Stone's Fourstones
-
A slew of rarities and little knowns from Indie Mp3.