Friday, April 02, 2004

glisten globally: week three

Tonight's mix bag song selection somehow matches my mood: inscrutable, joyous, energetic, angry, deeply sad, hopeful, guarded, trembling, difficult, terrified, pregantpaused, open, exultant.

A little taste of the conflicted emotional salmagundi that be me just lately.

I spent part of my day at a public mental health clinic where an overweight woman in ill-fitting clothes and a badly broken out face informed me that the handful of pipecleaners/ribbon/glue/buttons she had grasped in her pudgy lil' hands was an easter bunny that she made "all by herself". And I was there asking for help from HER counsellor, so the deep end has been very much in bloodshoteyed sight.

Mind you I WAS in the wrong office, but I didn't know that at the time.

As for what I was doing there in the first place: seeing the pictures of the burnt corpses being strung up by laughing men in the paper yesterday morning made me start crying and I had a hard time stopping.

Anyway. There's more, but I'm sharing too much. You're here for the music.

Let me know what you think; comments mean a lot; you know the drill.


Sibeba - "Sibeba"

Extra sensory acapella.

Purchase "Hijas del Sol" from Amazon
Sibeba Bio


Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - "Haq Ali Ali Haq"

Like watching a thunderstorm roll by.

Purchase Nusrat's Greatest Hits Album from Amazon
Nusrat's web home
Lots of music samples.
A tribute page


Geinoh Yamashirogumi - "Doll's Polyphony"

This is the sequence in the movie where the milkbleeding teddybear hallucinations come for Tetsuo.

Review of the "Akira" soundtrack
The official Yamashirogumi site, in Japanese
Purchase the "Akira" soundtrack from Amazon
More about "Akira"


Do any of my New York readers (that I haven't personally talked to in the last week) want to drop me a line at the email listed up top right? I'd like to ruminate on a few topics.

Maybe a weekend update. I have one more mix bag before I go into the Prince week.