<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, April 29, 2004

=================================================================

glisten: oneaday

I'm away from my desk right now, so if you'll leave a message after the beep; I'll get back to you.


The Sterling Jubilee Singers - "Jesus Hits Like the Atom Bomb"

The Sterlings have been family music for as long as I can remember. The Alexanders were Easter friends that we would meet at the show on holiday. This is all just to say, I may be prejudiced when I tell you that music of this caliber remains the gold standard that it takes to get me REALLY excited. Wicked good.

As appropriate now as ever, this makes a great companion piece to the great Golden Gate Quartet song "Atom and Evil", which should certainly get some play on here sooner or later.

Apparently, Tripping Daisy borrowed the name of this track for one of their albums. Having never really listened to Tripping Daisy (barring that "Got a Girl" track, which seemed like servicable novelty pop), I can't tell you just how offended I should be. I imagine a bit.


Buy the album "Jesus Hits Like the Atom Bomb" direct from New World Records
-
Soundportraits.org's documentary piece on Jefferson County Gospel Quartets in RealMedia and transcripts of same.
-
1994 article from Alabama's state art council on the Sterling Jubilee Singers