<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, April 14, 2004


glisten

Patience and Prudence - "Tonight You Belong to Me"

Keith: The talent here is more conventional than the mad geniuses of the Cheese Band. Nonetheless, I don't mind this. At the very least, there IS actual talent here, unlike certain other children on this mix.

Andrew: Something distinctly creepy about two little girls singing 'tonight you belong to me', but whatever. Not bad.

A case of too young artists who somehow have insight into circumstances beyond their experience. How can a twelve year old understand the sad, fragile beauty of a last night together before separate ways is a reality and not a plan? Flip that script: how did they understand the wistful guilty pleasure of breakup sex?

So sweet, so sharp.


Purchase "The Best of Patience and Prudence" from Collector's Choice Music.
BASICHIPDIGITALODDIO used to host a great site with a ton of P&P tracks; that's RIP so here's your best bet for more. Recommended buy; there's a number of other good cuts: "A Smile and a Ribbon" (recently of Ghost World), "Over Here", "Gonna Get Along Without You Now", and "We Can't Sing Rhythm and Blues" for starters.
-
"Yep, they were up there on the charts alongside Elvis Presley!"
-
Guitar tabs
-
"If you're an avid U.S. Island hunter and have followed my island activating exploits over the past few years, Patience is the one major virtue you would need to eventually add Prudence Island to your collection."

=================================================================

Quindon Tarver - "When Doves Cry"

Keith: You didn't... A Prince cover. Oh God. This feels wrong. Hearing a small child singing When Doves Cry... It just FEELS WRONG. But, moving past the inherent wrongness of it, this kid has some real talent. He's no Prince - his vote is richer and deeper, and strangely more manly than the purple one, but on this song, it works. I especially like the synthesized rendition of the instrumental. Slick.

Andrew: Not a big fan of this one, it's got a bit of an early '90s one-hit-wonder vibe. Like being back in grade 4 or something.

First off, I _really_ dislike this movie version of R+J. Heck, I'd say it's safe to say I'm gonna dislike ANYTHING by Baz Luhrmann; I find his work garish, rococo and soulless. Everything I love about Vincente Minelli is warpedmirrortwisted when it comes to Luhrmann's work. I find him offensive.

This song's OK, though. The church choir and the multi-track vocals pay off nicely; this is easily better than Ginuwine's cover... and that had Timbo on board, so you know I say that with trepidation.


Purchase the second volume of "Songs from Romeo and Juliet" from Amazon.
With the Butthole Surfers!
-
More Quindon from IUMA
-
Quindon's Bio
-
Lyrics

=================================================================

The Jackson 5 - "Who's Lovin' You"

Keith: Jackson 5 is cheating. More Kidz Bop. Less of the real thing. That and I hate the Jackson 5.

Andrew: I knew something by the Jackson 5'd be on this CD. Nice intro, but the rest... to be honest, everything by the Jackson 5 sounds the same to me, and not in a good way. Please excuse my youthful ignorance.

Excused and how is this "cheating"? No quality artists allowed?

That both of you made none of the obvious comments about Michael singin' "Who's Lovin' You" to his runaway paramour gives me pause enough so that I will also elect to take the high road.


Buy the Jackson 5 "Ultimate Collection" from Amazon
-
The Jivy Jackson 5 Page
Loads o' content!
-
Lyrics

=================================================================

Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers - "I Am Not a Juvenile Delinquent"

Keith: Oh yes you ARE a juvenile delinquent. The denials are so fierce, it must be true (see, Jeff Skilling etc.) I REALLY like this track. Probably my favorite on this mix. I can see this being a minor, regional hit in the 50's.

Andrew: This is great. Old, old-style tune, but the lyrics are what make it. Catchy, hummable, and so bloody anachronistic! Huzzah!

Huzzah yourself!

Every song should start this way.

My lasting memory of this track is from John Waters' "Pink Flamingos"; the tune plays underneath a scene in which Divine smuggles steaks out of a grocery store by shoving them in her underwear.


Buy "The Very Best of Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers" from Amazon
At least 75% classic.
-
The sad story of F.L and the Teenagers
-
Frankie's life story was made into a movie, "why Do Fools Fall in Love", the tomatometer indicates it might be worth a peek.
-
So, if Frankie WAS a Juvenile Delinquent, what's to blame? Fame? Money? Power? Musta been all dem comical books.
Or possibly the heroin.

=================================================================

Stevie Wonder - "Fingertips, Pts 1 and 2"

Keith: I'd call Stevie Wonder cheating too, but unlike the Jackson Five, there's a DAMN good song here, so there's really nothing I can do to complain. Love those handclaps!

Andrew: This is Stevie Wonder? Have to say I prefer his voice now. Kid seems damn good at working the crowd. Good tune, though the harmonica (is that what that is?) is kinda annoying and shrill after a while.

This sumbitch has been working the crowd for five decades or so; he was good from the git go.

It's unbelievable how together this kid's act is. Stevie's an honest to god genius.


Purchase Stevie's "Early Classics" from Amazon
-
A fairly comprehensive French Stevie page
-
Stevie Wonder vs. Ray Charles: Darts at twenty paces

=================================================================

clicky

Jason Little's "Shutterbug Follies" is a seriously fun read.
Start here and then go get the book.
-
This thread over at ILM led me to the new Afroman "How to Rob an Industry Nigga"-style single "Wack Rappers".
Worth listening to once and then erasing from your memory forever.
-
Videos to make your anus clench: Sawstop product safety demos.
If you've EVER worked with a bandsaw, you'll grimace.
via MILKANDCOOKIES
-
I was just sitting here thinking to myself, "What would my readers really appreciate?" Then it came to me: you'd all love a possibly photoshopped picture of a killer whale having his massive penis stroked by a man in a wetsuit.
No, don't thank me. I'm here for YOU.
via BOINGBOING
-
J.G.I.W.Y.P.
via ESSELLE
-
Specifically for Kimdog:
"Cat? I'm a kittycat. And I dance dance dance and I dance dance dance...
-
"NEC Corp has developed a battery that... takes only about 30 seconds to recharge enough to allow 80 hours of continuous operation".
Meanwhile, the iPod can just barely make it through to five o'clock.
-
ALREADY linked to death, but this Burger King viral of a "subservient chicken" is just too damn amazing to go unremarked.
via OH, EVERYBODY.
-
And here's a bonus Japanese viral that I found funnier than I should've.
via MILKANDCOOKIES

=================================================================

musicblog clicky

Seems like not a day goes by that I don't find SOMEONE musicblogging. Here's the current, yet-to-be sidebarred haul:

Instamatic comes with more mashup DJ akshon; I like the Luda-Kriss Kross mix.
-
Indiepoprock is just what it says: indiepop, only it's en flambe (that means "in French").
Mountain Goats, Four Tet, Cat Power. Check em out, toot sweet.
-
Music Steev Got in South America
via MISTERPANTS
-
Incorrect Music Sifting is a GOLDMINE for exotica and plain BAD tunes.
Dunno about that commentary, tho'; I don't trust anyone who calls Wesley Willis "an exploited crack addict".
-
Musical Family Tree is a private party, but you can stop by and have a beer if you really want to. Who knows WHAT you'll find?
-
What, TOMWAITSFORNOONE didn't fill your Waits needs? Alright, here's a live bootleg site. Now that's REALLY enough already.
-
The Slack Album.
Sigh.
No, I haven't listened to it yet. No, I'm not going to. Pavement fans, feel free.
Look, I agree that "everybody should try and make music at some point in their lives", but could we PLEASE get off the Black album already?
Not hatin', just statin'.
-
IUMA is a fairly large "post your finished product here for free" file index for indy artists. Fun to wade into; this is where I first found Dokaka, so I'm quite grateful.
-
A Breath of Wind is a nicely organized J/K/C-pop site.
-
Here's a great idea: email songstowearpantsto with a set of parameters for a short song; let's say: "make an a capella chant-type song about people who photocopy their body parts (you may wish to focus on the photocopying of the buttocks), with at least 14 layers of your voice". And they'll do it!
This is precisely why I heart the internet: unleashed offbeat DIY spirit, squared.

=================================================================