<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

donny hathaway, late in the game

glisten

Tomorrow will be the EIGHTH day in a row working. Ain't doin' nothin' but payin' th' rent. I have a nice piece in the works about a friend and conspirator who you probably haven't heard about but will love.

In the meantime, I hope you won't mind some filler so that I can get some sleep.

I just recently got into Donny Hathaway in a big way, spurred on by a gorgeous offering from O-Dub at Soul Sides.

You know that wacky moment when you hear a song you've never heard and then go,
"Oh shit: that's where the sample from "X" came from and I really should've known that already, but I didn't and OH SHIT, that makes me want to listen to "X" and this song is super rad and OH SHIT, shouldn't I have already known this? I feel so stupid and so dumb, but man this track rocks and that track rocks too and isn't it amazing that both songs still sound so great to me and isn't it a perfect world sometimes?"

Right?

=================================================================

Warren G - "My Momma (Ola Mae)"

I've been listening to this track ever since it came out.

Warren G is a horribly underrated MC.

Buy "I Want It All" from Amazon
Tight from top to bottom.
-
The 411

=================================================================

Donny Hathaway - "Valdez in the Country"

I finally found this track, the obvious predecessor to "Ola Mae" about a week ago.

Funky as all getout. Make it your song du jour for the whole summer.

Buy "Extension of a Man" from Amazon
A real masterpiece throughout and an excellent piece of first exposure.
-
A discography of a too brief career.