<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, June 16, 2004


glisten: polyamory

50 Cent - "Fuck You"

Max:
“My advice if you get shot down is get the fuck up.” That’s really fabulous advice. 50 Cent should be a motivational speaker for inner-city schools! Angry lyrics, but a rather relaxed flow—must be that ecstasy that he mentions early on.

Amanda: Not my bag.

Jake: i always want to dislike 50 cent, but his voice is just pleasing to the ear.

RW: I don’t know this song. It’s nice! I like the primo-sounding beat and the midway-revised 50 flow before it got really exaggerated. We recently checked the itunes “most played” in our office. Embarassingly, it was “groupie love” in the number one position. How did that happen?

Ryan: Better backround samples, sharper timing, but otherwise about more of the same.
*shrug*

I continue to hold that 50's best material is his lesser known material. This one's probably my fave; the Nas sample and the positive-thinking principle (well, sorta) sells it for me.

Buy "Guess Who's Back" from Amazon
A grimier, less-produced "Get Rich" equals a more interesting album.
-
Sony's 50 site
-
Beef is on!
50 vs. the paper of record! I look forward to the "Letter to the NY Post" recycle.

=================================================================

Bathgate - "Fuck That"

Okay, so mea culpa: I sent this out listing it as a Jay-Z track; but a bit more recent research reveals it to be by some cat named Bathgate whose career apparently never took off because he sounded too damn much like... Jigga. Just listen to it; the guy sounds nice but this is some serious Dolly the Sheep action.
Still a hot track, tho'.


Max: This song had me at “put your middle fingers in the air.” What do I love more than saying “fuck”? Aw yeah…Flippin’ the bird. I think this might be my favorite of all the songs on this CD, at least in terms of its message—it’s about using the word for empowerment (Fuck that—I’m better than any of this shit”), not as a disheartening sign of detachment (“Fuck that—I don’t care”).

Amanda: I like the xylophone action.

Jake: dangermouse's remix album has me reconsidering the greatness of jay z. beyonce is so hot, he must be an ok dude.
Do you want to tell him? Cause I don't have the heart.

RW: This is ok, I guess. It sounds sort of like a demo? I probably wouldn’t listen to this again. Though, it is a good tip to not mix GAP and Gucci.
Like acid and base?

Ryan: No no, this one's unique because they used a fucking Marimba over it. Marimba?
FUCKING Marimba? What the fuck ever. Bored now.

With Jay retired, is now the time for the second coming of BATHGATE?
Probably not. Nice cut tho'; but fr'crissakes: who takes the time to call out Will Smith?


Buy the "Kiss of the Dragon" soundtrack from Amazon
-
DJ Clue's Rocafella Page

=================================================================

Three 6 Mafia - "Get the Fuck Out My Face"

Max: The real genius here is that the preposition “of” has been omitted from the title, which instantly raises the “keepin’ it real” value of the entire track.
Again, I'll invoke Hamlet.

Great folk.blues/gospel-ish sample going on in the background—take that, Moby!

Amanda: the sample in this song is great.

Jake: i like the old field recording sample, but that's about it.

RW: Sounds like Moby at first! But then the mafia comes in! this track seems to be suffering some mp3 encoding problems. Lots of essing aliasing sometimes the lyrics seems to blend in to the hihats. I can imagine it sounding really nice.

Ryan: Hurm. Well, it's similar, but they got more of my attention with the cool
sample opening. Sadly, I'm more interesting in listening to the sample than the
WWF sounding mysognist crap rap that comes after it. Somehow I don't think they
appreciate the irony of using a powerful female vocal sample to back up that
kind of content.

Yeah, the Mobystyle influence is very difficult to ignore right? As for the sound quality, meh. We aren't intended to be your last stop; if ya like it and ya want it cleaner and clearer, then buy it. Ya heard?

Tennessee Reprazent!


Buy "Da Headbussaz" from Amazon
3-6 is really doing it for me lately; haven't heard a bad track yet. Bone meets 2 $hort meets Juvie, just dirrrtier.
-
A bunch of 3-6 DL from Memphis Rap
-
More DL's including the spectacular "Sippin' on Some Syrup".

=================================================================

Ween - "Where th' Motherfucking Cheese At?"

Max: Hilarious! Bleeps and beats and dirty words and tweaked vocals. Thirty seconds of just what the doctor ordered.

Amanda: Catchy. I could see a good talent show-type dance routine to this with lots of jazzy shoulder shrugging.

Jake: ah, a joke rock classic.

RW: Whatever

Ryan: Ahh... fucking perfect man. 30 seconds of parody musical sorbet. Ex-fucking-zactly what I need to hear.

From Ween's website:
"Earlier in 2002 we were hired by the largest advertising firm in the country to write music for a Pizza Hut commercial. Pizza Hut had hired them to come up with a whole new image to promote their new Pizza, "The Insider" which had all the cheese inside the crust. In keeping in line with their new cutting edge image, the agency hired Ween to do the music, and we delivered in a big way. Unfortunately, they didn't like a single piece of the 6 tunes we submitted and they had us rewriting the song every day for a couple of weeks before they hired someone else. In my opinion, it is one of the best tunes we wrote all last year. "

Buy "The Mollusk" from Amazon
Pers. Fave. Plenty of other material to choose from. I also dig their country album.
-
Few artists are as web-friendly as Ween. Their remarkable website offers access to Weenradio (24 hour Ween action!) and the original TV-friendly version of this fifteen-second classic. Only TMBG has a better site, IMHO.
-
Ween tabs galore.

=================================================================

Jon and Al Kaplan - "Put the Fucking Lotion in the Basket"

Jake: this is great! so dumb, yet so good. i have no idea where this is from but i'm going to guess south park?

RW: What situation can these people possibly be discussing? I might have spaced out but I don’t really understand what’s going on? This guy has imprisoned some woman and is making her apply suntan lotion? It’s fucking creepy. Is this part of some larger concept album? Where did the poodle come from? I will never listen to this track again.

Amanda: Wow, the internet tells me this is from a musical version of Silence of the Lambs. I feel like I need to know more about it.

Ryan: Ok, this is the song that broke me. I didn't even know there was a musical
version of Silence of the Lambs. This is the fucking *amazing* to hear.

Max: Fantastic—though the SOTL musical will never see the light of day in anything larger than a 30-seat community theater, this song should be heard by everyone who has seen the movie or read the book. Seriously, this is a great example of why the word is so perfect—even in this over-the-top comic scenario, ol’ Jame Gumb is still pretty scary. Pretty fucking scary.

This is fuckin' brilliant. You're obliged to go get ALL of this. Like right now.

Visit Jon and Al's website for the complete musical and loads of other neat stuff, including a tongue-through-cheek lost "Return of the King" scene.
-
The Hannibal Lecter Soundboard
-
Buy "The Silence of the Lambs (Widescreen)" DVD from Amazon

=================================================================

AND AS LONG AS WE WAS SAYING "FUCK YOU" HERE'S A BIG ONE:


Goodbye Lakers.


Hellllllooooo Pistons!

What an amazing and exciting season it's been. Insane props to the Pistons for accomplishing what most thought would be impossible.

Shouts to Chauncey!

Musicblog love forthcoming; I'm drunk on Bball at the moment...