<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, July 04, 2004

TOFU LABS: we're here for YOU.
DIAGNOSTICS

So, SEVEN HOURS later, the blogroll is completely redux in a big way. Take a look around; all links are battletested and live as of last night.

Lots going on out there:

The inimitable mystical beast is flaming out with special remixed director's cut posts; remixes of past essays and songs with additional tunes and info. Well worth checking in on; the Lisa Suckdog post along made my head spin.
-
Opacodex is mostly down for the moment.
-
classical gasp also quite sporadic (look who's talking).
-
zero g web became fat planet and kicked it into overdrive with an impressive array of world music.
-
listen closer and lusitania appear to be on hiatus.
-
thank me for the music faded out
-
Instamatic was snuffed by his provider, a'la Sleeve Notes. I strongly recommend just changing to a different host; not everyone is an asshole.
-
The excellent coverlog seems a tetch constipated; you should still run over and pick up the Jamie Cullum cover of "Frontin'". My mom suggested I start looking for some Cullum and I must admit that I like what I've heard. Anybody want to pass along some more so that I can mull it over afore I go cop the disc?
-
Filepile homes disco downloads and tom waits for no one disappeared, somewhat unsurprisingly.
-
Dolby Surrender has apparently stopped posting tracks. My Spanish speaking listeners should drop by for a read and see whatchathink, tho.
-
Sleeve notes and Frank Payne have taken the radio approach; a method that's definitely snowballing in popularity amongst would be musicbloggers.

I hesitate to point out that you CAN listen to all the tracks on this page at any given time, radio style, simply by clicking the just the music please link on the blogroll. I'd obviously prefer (both for ego and bandwidth that you wade through the marsh that is my prose, but I'm sensitive that some o' you kids are at work and just want to give a quick listen. Say six hail marys and come back to do your readin' later, y'hear?
-
Milwaukee John is down for the summer; will somebody please contact me when he comes back on?
-
Negro Please has joined musicblogging in a big way; the DL's are sparse, but the opening of each entry with a potentially itunable song is a great idea. Plus the writing stays poppin'. Go click and add to your faves.
-
Was everyone aware that the george mike link contains a pretty much complete collection of his work in realaudio? Hours of listening.

GM stopped by the restaurant I work at about two weeks ago with his massive bear boytoy in tow. He tips well, he's very pleasant, he drinks diet coke and half the restaurant was in awe and the other half was a little unsure who he was.

I'm getting old.

For other impressive RA filepile artist sites, check out the newly added Dylan.
-
The john peel show page is worth revisiting; regularly updated and packed with lotsa live action. My indie kid readers should scarper over and get the newly posted Mountain Goats and Shins sets.
-
J/K/C Pop Central (previously "HOLY SHIT! WHO KNEW?") is an Asian Pop GOLDMINE: a webring of musicblogs that specialize in Japanese/Korean/Chinese Pop music.

Like seeing art at the Vatican, there's no way for you to really check everything listed there; just go get what you can handle and return to the well whenever necessary.
-
RIP: woebot and peabs; two that I'm sorry to see go.
-
V/VM Test Records might not stay up very long. Rabbit over and peek around.
-
365 Days is BACK! Thanks to the always rad ubuweb for resurrecting the blog that made ME want to start musicbloggin'. If you missed it the first time, RUSH over and immerse yourself in the unimaginably cool collection of tracks that is Otis Fodder's folly.

So, so, so good.
-
I'm instituting a new blogroll feature: new musicblogs of note. Rather than continually tell you about new musicblogs as I find them, I'm just gonna post anything that catches my eye under that rubric.

My reasoning on this is that as the genre is growing exponentially, I really don't have time to explore each new blog in depth. Also, many of these are starting to pop up, blog two weeks and then abruptly die off. So everything goes on the front page. After a week or two in "new", I'll file them in their appropriate genre and you'll be able to follow my discoveries at the same time I find them. While I'm well aware that a blogroll is not the most userfriendly way to explore new sites, this method provides no guilt for me on not being able to indulge my journalist side and gives me more time for me to work on MY OWN GODDAMN BLOG, y'know?

Occasionally, I'll spotlight a new find that particularly excites me. I've more than a few of these at the moment; t'morrah, t'morrah, always t'morrah.
-
AGAIN: please email me if you have a musicblog you'd like to add to this list or if you feel that your blog is incorrectly filed by genre. It may not pop up the next day, but you will get online props eventually. Honest.
-
Speaking of which, genre distinctions are getting blurry these days. Most often what I'm seeing is an utter LACK of genre distinction; blogs with jazz, exotic, hip hop, electronic... sometimes in the same day. I'm a little unsure where to file such musicbloggers, so I'm opting to put them in the "rock/pop" section, unless they manifest a long-term affection to one style. I mean, where would you put ME?
-
Over 225 musicblogs listed, not counting the numerous other blogs that occasionally post music that I've moved to other pastures. Accept no imitators.

Think about that. 225 Musicblogs.

If each one produced one new track a day (which is a vast underestimation; Largeheartedboy alone posts something like twenty a day, but sake of argument) and each new track was three minutes long (again, underestimation); a dedicated DL'er could get

OVER ELEVEN HOURS OF NEW, FREE MUSIC EVERY DAY!




BeLIEVE that.
-
wow, namechecked by EC Brown! It's been a goal for a long time, honestly. He's the granddaddy of the musicblog linkpage and his site is a towering monument of free internet tunes. Start there, who knows where you'll end up?
-
Musical buying spree: new goodie mob (BANGIN'! More discussion on this soon), iron and wine's "creek drank the cradle", a luaka bop sampler with some Susana Baca I don't have, finally got nelliemckay's album, the new Mirah, used singles of aaliyah's "are you that somebody" (had to get that acapella) and whitney houston's "it's not right but it's alright" (shitload of thunderpuss mixes!), trick daddy's "thug holiday", three six mafia's "da unbreakables" (unfortunately, the chopped and screwed version... i wanted the real thing!), the new magnetic fields, a PILE of David Bowie to burn from the kimdog, the fu schnickens greatest hits and a few other goodies.

Now I just need to find time to listen.
-
Gonna go see Nellie McKay on July 6th, 6:00 at the South Street Seaport. Anybody wanna join me?
-
We're still short ONE spider review. Monday will be another fluxblog style post with some nice hot trax; we should begin spidering soon. More news, more mix CD's, more everything SOON.

So how are you?