Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Huddie was a hella photogenic rascal.
glisten: Acap' CD 11

21: Kitty Gallagher - "Keen for a Dead Child"

Adam - More on the continuing death theme we go… Hmmm. I thought the last one was stark, but this one overtakes it. What's a word for "more stark"? www.thesaurus.com says bleak. Sure. It's bleak.

Spencer - Can't understand a word but I'm sure if she sang Burger King's menu in that tender warble it would be just as beautiful. I'll have to pretend I didn't here that hawking sound at the end though.

Kevin - Sinewy and surprising melody, using parts of the voice that we don't hear often in western music. I like it.

It's spooky, is what it is; a sweet wind in the graveyard.
Remix, please.

Buy "World Library of Folk and Primitive Music, Vol. 2: Ireland" from Rounder Records
Read this interview with tangentially related Irish doom metal band Mourning Beloveth.
Explore this folk music repository
GRIEF on the death, it has blackened my heart:
It has snatched my low and left me desolate,
Without friend or companion under the roof of my house
But this sorrow in the midst of me, and I keening.


22: Leadbelly - "Looky Looky Yonder/Black Betty/Yellow Women's Door Bells"

Adam - Leadbelly without accompaniment is like a day without sunshine. Though it does rain a lot, and that's a day without sunshine. Maybe I should listen to this track then. I do like how he goes back and forth with the parts of the song. I can say that.

Spencer - Second track from this mix that appears on Nick Cave's Kicking Against the Pricks.

Totally accidental. I like Nick Cave but I've never owned that album. Anybody wanna drop the pertinent tracks on me?

I don't like much Leadbelly but Huddie trumps Cave on this one. Another good one to sing along with.

Kevin - Not a lot can be said about Leadbelly that hasn't been said already so I'll hyperfocus on a particularly appealing detail: I really really like where he places the handclap in the "black betty" portion!

Yeah, really puts the off in "off beat," don't it?

Young people, know your history: THIS is your original gangsta.
Old people, know your future: Fiddy has a richer history than you think.

Buy "In the Shadow of the Gallows Pole" from Amazon.
Visit the grave of Huddie Ledbetter.
Play the music of Leadbelly with these tabs and songsheets via The Leadbelly Songbook.
Explore Leadbelly Web; offering a brief bio, a comprehensive discography and a bunch of audio samples.
Read this excerpt from The Life and Legend of Leadbelly by family friends Kip Lornell and Charles Wolfe.
Rent (if you can find it) the obscure '76 "Leadbelly" movie. The film's tagline is killing me and the poster is a super hoot!


much spiffy to come. For now, just go check out the completed interview via Morning News over here. I think it's pretty good.
New CD on the way soon, with a numbers theme. Keep an eye out.