<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Huddie was a hella photogenic rascal.
=================================================================
glisten: Acap' CD 11

21: Kitty Gallagher - "Keen for a Dead Child"

Adam - More on the continuing death theme we go… Hmmm. I thought the last one was stark, but this one overtakes it. What's a word for "more stark"? www.thesaurus.com says bleak. Sure. It's bleak.

Spencer - Can't understand a word but I'm sure if she sang Burger King's menu in that tender warble it would be just as beautiful. I'll have to pretend I didn't here that hawking sound at the end though.

Kevin - Sinewy and surprising melody, using parts of the voice that we don't hear often in western music. I like it.

It's spooky, is what it is; a sweet wind in the graveyard.
Remix, please.


Buy "World Library of Folk and Primitive Music, Vol. 2: Ireland" from Rounder Records
-
Read this interview with tangentially related Irish doom metal band Mourning Beloveth.
-
Explore this folk music repository
-
GRIEF on the death, it has blackened my heart:
It has snatched my low and left me desolate,
Without friend or companion under the roof of my house
But this sorrow in the midst of me, and I keening.


=================================================================

22: Leadbelly - "Looky Looky Yonder/Black Betty/Yellow Women's Door Bells"

Adam - Leadbelly without accompaniment is like a day without sunshine. Though it does rain a lot, and that's a day without sunshine. Maybe I should listen to this track then. I do like how he goes back and forth with the parts of the song. I can say that.

Spencer - Second track from this mix that appears on Nick Cave's Kicking Against the Pricks.

Totally accidental. I like Nick Cave but I've never owned that album. Anybody wanna drop the pertinent tracks on me?

I don't like much Leadbelly but Huddie trumps Cave on this one. Another good one to sing along with.

Kevin - Not a lot can be said about Leadbelly that hasn't been said already so I'll hyperfocus on a particularly appealing detail: I really really like where he places the handclap in the "black betty" portion!

Yeah, really puts the off in "off beat," don't it?

Young people, know your history: THIS is your original gangsta.
Old people, know your future: Fiddy has a richer history than you think.


Buy "In the Shadow of the Gallows Pole" from Amazon.
-
Visit the grave of Huddie Ledbetter.
-
Play the music of Leadbelly with these tabs and songsheets via The Leadbelly Songbook.
-
Explore Leadbelly Web; offering a brief bio, a comprehensive discography and a bunch of audio samples.
-
Read this excerpt from The Life and Legend of Leadbelly by family friends Kip Lornell and Charles Wolfe.
-
Rent (if you can find it) the obscure '76 "Leadbelly" movie. The film's tagline is killing me and the poster is a super hoot!

=================================================================

much spiffy to come. For now, just go check out the completed interview via Morning News over here. I think it's pretty good.
-
New CD on the way soon, with a numbers theme. Keep an eye out.