<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, September 24, 2004

The beautiful Rosetta Tharpe by Terry Cryer

Tonight, we offer two songs that praise the gospel with guitar.

glisten: holy
=================================================================
Sister Rosetta Tharpe - "Don't Take Everybody to Be Your Friend"

Rosetta is best known (and justly so) for her versatile and unique voice but what about that astonishing guitar pickin'? Sister can rip it UP! Plus she was really really a hottie. This is one woman who deserves greater attention and recognition by the Beyonces and Jill Scotts of today. I wouldn't turn down a cover album.

This particular track is a favorite; a world-wise treatise on trust that keeps the spiritual on the periphery in favor of hardknocknowledge.

Buy the "Complete works of Rosetta Tharpe, Volume Three" from Amazon.
-
Read this brief bio of Tharpe (and listen to the accompanying MP3), then read this longer essay on Tharpe's stellar career.
-
Listen to Tharpe's version of "Down By the Riverside" with accompanying choir.

=================================================================
Elder A. Johnson - "God Don't Like It"

This un's a heartstopper: gutbucket gospel electric slide guitar in mono with a side of raunch and a heaping helping of elation. Lord only knows if Elder Johnson ever cut another track; regardless, this one's just about perfect.

"Now I wadn't talkin' 'bout anyone; I was just singin' my song."

Sharpeyed readers and longtime readers may remember the Willie McTell version of this tune posted on th' Hut waaaaaaaay back in February.

Buy "Gospel Evangelists: God's Mighty Hand" from Amazon or buy "God Don't Like It", a Document gospel sampler, direct from the label.
Both of these compilations contain this moving romp.
-
Explore the Gospel Music Guitar Archives.
-
Invest in a "a authenitcated and VALUABLE historical 1951 Fender Strat (VINTAGE)!!!"

=================================================================

Meeting the Neighbors

Cocaine Blunts and Hip Hop Beats has been ably holding down the hip hop music blog game for a minute now and shows no sign of slacking. Packed with obscure white label action, Coke Blunts really satisfies.

Recent offerings include music from Blackalicious, Saul Williams, Yukmouth and Kanye West.

Kick it over here baby pop!

Where did the name of your blog originate from?
"Cocaine blunts / and hip hop tapes / rubber car keys / and id that's fake"
-
What are the criteria you judge a song by to decide if it's post-worthy?
First criteria - it's gotta be dope and/or somehow interesting/relevant. And I usually only post stuff that's either completely under the radar if not downright out of print and unavailable. Otherwise, pretty much anything goes.
-
What song would you like played at your funeral?
I want Biz Markie to DJ my funeral. He can use his discretion as far as song selection.
-
What do you do for kicks when you're not posting?
Buy records, host a radio show of the same name on WRGW, drink mickeys malt liquor, fill space
-
Do you have a favorite music critic?
I don't know his name, but whoever writes The Violently Racist Music site was seriously killing it for a minute. Too bad he seems to have abandoned the site recently.
-
Five desert island discs?

1. Curtis Mayfield - Curtis
2. John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
3. De La Soul Is Dead
4. The Coup - Genocide & Juice
5. Nas - Illmatic
-
Do you consider yourself a "music journalist"?
I think "internet music journalism" and "music journalism" are two very different things. As of right now, I fall in the former category.
-
What was the last track you heard that really changed your life?
Busdriver - "Imaginary Places"
-
How much does it cost you to maintain your site (in time/money/effort)?
it's cost me about $150 so far. I maybe dedicate about an hour a day, three days a week to it; unless you count digging for music as site maintance, if so then I've dedicated about 12 years to it.
-
That old chestnut dinner party is at your house and you can invite three musicians living or dead. Who's comin'?
Mike Patton, E-40, Sun Ra
-
Is there any genre of music that you dismiss out of hand?
For the blog, anything that's not hip hop. For my life, never. Every genre has it's high points and low points.
-
Which critical darling do you find most overrated?
Tie: Talib Kweli & Madlib
-
Who's the most overlooked genius in the music industry?
Hands down: E-40 (autoload music on that link, folks!).
-
Are you much of a dancer?
I'm a pretty big guy. Things could get messy when I dance. I mostly just pull up my pants and lean back.
-
Drop on by betterPropaganda and pick out a track from their archives to hype.

Murs - "3:16"

Murs has always been really hit or miss for me. I like his persona and he's recorded some bangers, but he (like the rest of the living legends crew) rarely is focused enough to make a tolerable full length. This EP is the exception, presumably thanks to the influence of producer 9th Wonder. One of my recent favorites.

=================================================================

spiffy

Some random finds and interesting news:

The Story Behind Prince's "Kiss"
Choice Quote:
"'I asked him what was going on. He said to me, ‘This is too good for you guys. I'm taking it back.' From that moment on, 'Kiss' became a Prince record."
-
Feist!
I'd love to get these tracks; anybody got an MP3?
Finally got the album and it's wonderful. Again I ask: why no US release?
-
Wonkette offers a complete transcription of the Jon Stewart "O'Reilly Factor" interview.

O'REILLY: ...you asked me why I was such a bad person, didn't you, or something like that? Wasn't that a serious question?

STEWART: Did I ask you why you were a bad person?

O'REILLY: Yeah, I think so.

STEWART: No, I wouldn't have done that.

O'REILLY: ... "scum of the earth, O'Reilly," I think that's the way you put it.

STEWART: No, I wouldn't have put it that way. I think it would have been, why do you have such je ne sai qua?

-
My fellow Bukowski freaks should hustle over to RELEASETHEREALITY and catch th' hookup.
-
Musicblog and Blogroll update over th' weekend.