<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, May 05, 2006

not too hot, but she ain't no Lena the Hyena


=================================================================
glisten - Lucky 13 Pt. 5: Ugly Women Sing th' Blues

#9: Big Mama Maybelle - That's A Pretty Good Love

Big Maybelle had a voice with as much kick as a mule and the heft of a sledgehammer. That's a Pretty Good Love has one of my fave lyrics of any of The Lucky 13 tracks: "Ain't much to look at and I won't win a prize / When it comes to lovin', I'll open your eyes."

I ain't the tattoo type, but that sounds like a good logo to me.

tell me more about it...

Big Mama Maybelle's music is fairly easily available; you can buy the two-disc Savoy Maybelle best-of 'Blues, Candy and Big Maybelle' from Barnes and Noble for thirty two bucks or download both discs from iTunes for ... $46!?
Man, this internet music revolution is really something, eh?
-
Read this Big Maybelle Bio; poor lady fell victim to heroin, diabetes and stress and it drove her to a too early grave. Raise a glass.
-
Listen to two other Big Maybelle tracks in full length MP3 form (courtesy of
Livin' Blues), including the awe-inspiring Rain Down Rain.
Just... wow.
-
Explore Big Maybelle's discography.
-
Necessary dap to blogmeister Reverend Frost's Spread the Good Word who big upped Big Maybelle about a year ago and... what's this?

He's got an album out? I detect a trend! Alert the NY Times!
-
My Yiddisha Ugly Woman
-
Nice try, no cigar.

#10: Pearl Reeves (Reaves?) and the Concords - I'm Not Ashamed

The Concords recorded all of two records and Reeves only saw six sides, but there's plenty to love in that short history. The big and memorable hit was 'You Can't Stay Here', of which 'I'm Not Ashamed' is the B-side.

FWIW, I've seen a picture of Pearl Reeves that was clipped from the ad for this single and Pearl was a serious knockout. "Ugly woman," my sweet patootie.

tell me more about it...

If you simply MUST own a copy of this track on CD or, more likely, you'd like to hear more of the same, you can buy 'Rare 1950's Boston Doo Wops' from Dead Dog Records.
-
Read this history of the Concords.
-
Listen to Pearl and The Concords big hit, 'You Can't Stay Here';
courtesy of the amazing Hound, whose archives you should be plundering just as fast as your mouse can click.

Really, this is a link that may just make your year. 32 kbps or not; thar's gold in them thar pages!
-
The Concords eventually went on to become The Solitaires; click the link and find out where they ended up.
-
'Ugly' mom sues ABC for nixing makeover
-
All the old timers know that I loved me some ugly women
since before ugly was cool.

=================================================================
spiffy

Yes, they're sinfully hipster and obscenely expensive, but these Salvor animal pillows are entirely too cool to front on.

The girl and I have Pearl the Squirrel and Watson the Dachshund on the couch; I can think of few things nicer than a menagerie of animal pillows to recline upon, except perhaps a flotilla of tape babies.
-
Dubplate style
-
Enthusiastic but Mediocre wrought umlauts which begat Enthusiastic but Mediocre; forever and ever, amen.
So go get you some Euro/World Pop excitement, eh?
-
Oooooh, mysterious.
-
In another strange case of life imitating art, Mikey really will eat anything.
-
Super Mario Soundboard D-Lux
-
WFMU's Beware of the Blog has long since become one of the most important and consistently necessary sites on this big ol' intarweb; if you still doubt, then I suggest you find yourself some religion.

Labels: , ,