<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, March 21, 2005

Thicker than water


=================================================================
glisten: FAMILY VALUES THREE

For more info about the FAMILY VALUES series, go here.

Manson Family - "Roc-A-Family"

Dad: Huh? "Muthafucka," whaaa? There's nothing here for me at all.
Believe that.
-
Mom: Ugh! I'm having a hard time enduring this torture. This is like somebody chipping at your head. Pass the analgesics. This song(?) is angry and scary and I think I was born in the wrong generation for it.

Boy, did I get in trouble at work when I put this CD on in my office and this came on saying "Fuck you, Fuck him; Fuck EVERYBODY!"

There's no denying the rhythm but it's not spiritually gratifying in any way. It's like the Manson Family is in pain and they're gonna put you in pain out of spite.

It's very street, sounds very street to me. It's hard to interpret and I feel like maybe I should, but... aaaaah, fuck this!
-
Sis: The Manson Family? Is that name some kind of ill-conceived joke?

There is something ugly in the undercurrents of this and although I suppose all of that super-fast vocal action is impressive, it rather sets my nerves on edge.

*************************************
Buy "Heltah Skeltah" from Amazon.
It is, no doubt, an acquired taste.
-
Read this interview with C-Roc, in which he makes his opinions of the Manson Fam pretty gosh-darn clear.
-
Three minutes with Tommy Wright III
-
Explore Memphis Rap, "the premier rap music store and community".
-
Attend the Manson Family Picnic.
I'm strongly recommending you stay away from the potato salad.

=================================================================

The Ramones - "We're a Happy Family"

Dad: I never heard anything I liked by the Ramones. Clearly, I don't get it.
-
Mom: This reminds me of Frank Zappa. It's intense, like somebody chanting, "My troubles never end". Usually "happy" music has a certain tone; in this case, the tune really didn't match the sentiment. I rather doubt this is a happy family, but it doesn't mean they don't love each other.

"Eating refried beans?""Daddy likes men"? I'm having a hard time figuring it out... is this a 'garage band'?
-
Sis: I always feel like I’m supposed to like The Ramones. Maybe it’s living in Memphis; people go for that stuff around here. It's usually not my scene, but I can dig this track. I hear the “rock and roll” musical aspects of it more clearly that is often the case with this kind of garage/punk stuff.

I also like the tongue in cheek nature of the lyrical content. Oh, yes, I’m sure they’re a “happy family”. Nice meltdown toward the end of the track.

*************************************
Buy "Rocket to Russia," the Ramones third try at the big time, from Amazon.
Ramones Mania will also likely do the trick for the non-fanatic.
-
Visit the Ramones official site.
-
Read this interview with Tommy Ramone.
-
RIP Dee Dee, Joey and Johnny.

=================================================================

Labels: ,